Maine Parental Rights & Responsibilities Attorney
Learn About Child Custody Rights in Maine
In Maine, the term "parental rights and responsibilities" is often used interchangeably with the term "child custody." MRS 19-A § 1653 outlines the rights and responsibilities required of parents who are unmarried, separated, or divorced.
Custody arrangements can be issued by the court as allocated, shared, or sole parental rights and responsibilities and can include:
- Primary residential care (physical custody)
- Parent-child contact (visitation)
- Child support
How Do the Courts Determine Rights & Responsibilities?
This same section of the Maine Revised Statutes explains how these decisions are to be made based on the best interests of the child. The following factors, as well as any other relevant factors, are taken into account when making decisions for parental rights and responsibilities regarding a child.
If you are looking to fight for fair parental rights and responsibilities, whether in terms of child custody or child support, Moncure & Barnicle can help. We know Maine's family law court procedures and can present a strong case on your behalf.
The courts will consider the following factors when making decisions about parental rights and responsibilities during a custody case:
- The child's age
- The relationship of the child with each parent
- The preference of the child
- The duration and adequacy of the child's current living arrangements and the desirability of maintaining continuity
- The motivation of each parent and their capacity to give the child love, affection, and guidance
- The child's adjustment to their present home, school, and community
- The capacity of each parent to allow and encourage frequent and continuing contact between the child and the other parent, including physical access
Find a Child Custody Attorney in Topsham or Brunswick
Moncure & Barnicle has more than 170 years of combined experience and is dedicated to providing outstanding personal service to each client. We work directly with our clients, guiding them step by step through their family law cases and toward the best possible outcomes. Our firm has a reputation for excellence and always provides clients with the attention and care that they deserve.